Sunday, December 30, 2007

Still in Goa

Well, they have been reworking the broadband service in Goa (or Calangute Beach, at least), and I couldn't post for a while. But it's back up now. I haven't been doing a whole lot. Yesterday, we went to the beach again. The waves weren't as big, so I got less injured. And I did not believe the waterproof claim of my sunscreen, so I applied it so often it actually worked.

We have new neighbors now. Our first neighbors were three Korean girls, whom I never really met. Our second neighbor was an American writer who lives in Korea. He was supposed to be here with his wife, but she filed for divorce and made him go to India she she could be alone for awhile. He wasn't even sure why he was there and spent most of the time in his room writing. Apparently, he's cleaning up his second novel, although his first one still isn't published. So I really don't know how good a writer he is, but he was smart and articulate. He will lose his Korean visa in the divorce and is thinking about moving to Hong Kong or Colorado (his home state). He left yesterday and wasn't even sure where he was going or how to get there. That's not a great combination for travel in India. So now we have a bunch of Indians (I'm not sure how many yet). One of them apparently lives in Wichita, but I haven't met him yet. I hope to, as he may be able to help Tamding with a visa.

So last night, I finally found the English Pub (there's always one near you). I was desperately looking for an internet cafe that had a connection. When I finally gave up, I turned around and saw the pub. I was thinking that maybe at least I could accomplish one of my goals in India: to drink an India Pale Ale in India. But that was not to be. They did have Guiness in a can, which is the best beer I've had so far in India. Of course, being imported, it cost 275 rupees ($7.25). So I think that's the last one I'll have. The local beers cost about a dollar for a twelve ounce bottle. And despite actually being made in India, Budweiser and Foster's cost about two dollars. And they are even worse than they are in America.

It's the kind of situation that makes you want a gin and tonic, which I had. Of course, I had that gin and tonic in the dark. The power goes out about every other day in India, usally for about 20 minutes. But this time lasted about two hours. After about 15 minutes, they brought out candles, and we could finally see a little. It was actually kind of nice. But hot, as the fans were no longer working.

So there were two Scotsmen at the pub. Everyone thought the first one was a local, until he ordered a beer with a Glasgow accent. And everyone looked at him and someone asked: "where'd ye git thaut auccent?" His parents were Indian, but he was born in Glasgow. The second Scotsman looked and talked like Scotsmen normally look and talk. But it turns out he was the local, having lived in Goa for five years. It was a little strange. For some reason, everyone else was from newcastle. Except for me, of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TOM!! I hope you did something funny but not too crazy ;-)

Where Am I? said...

Actually, I stayed on the porch. Goa is way too crazy to deal with on New Years Eve.

Vox said...

Happy new year, Tom. I was thinking, do you think you could reapply as sponsor for Tamding's visa? From the sounds of it, the results you can get from Indian beaurocracy depends on who serves you at what time of day, and whether that beaurocrat had a fight with his mother-in-law that morning. Maybe you'll get someone a little more receptive the second time around.

Pete