Monday, December 31, 2007

If You Can't Run with the Big Dogs...

Stay on the porch, which is what I did last night. Goa is the Times Square of India for New Years Eve, and it was a little too much for me. I watched it from my balcony while drinking beer and rum. But my balcony was pretty much ground zero, so I didn't really miss anything. Tamding left around 11PM to wander the beach and really experience New Year's Eve. So I thought I'd be alone for the coming of the New Year. But at 11:50, Tamding came back saying it was too crazy. In nearly an hour, he managed to get about 100m and back. He said he couldn't walk on the beach because he had to constanly step over passed out drunks. And this was hard to do because there were too many drunken people stumbling around and passing out as well. I kind of thought that would be the case, which is why I stayed on the porch. But we saw the fireworks and the crowds from a safe point and all was well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Tom! I hope it brings health, wealth and happiness to you....or whatever YOU want :)

I'm glad you found a safe, fun place to observe the festivities. Me, too. My friend ( who doesn't drink) drove me to/from NYE party.
Cheers, Julie

Anonymous said...

Visa God! Great WSJ article today on the visa god - Chilkur Balaji temple in Hyderabad - in case Tamding is interested in expanding his horizons at a Hindu (Vishnu) temple. Yes, this is the new incarnation of Vishnu that helps folks get visas to the usa. Just thought I'd let you know.
cheers, julie

Dave said...

Happy New Year Tom! Glad you had a great new year. We the last few days up in Woodstock, and then went into the city for a quiet dinner with some friends last night. We stayed away from stepping over the drunks 50 blocks south in Times Square. Seemed like the wise move in the US as well.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Happy New year!
Hope it's great in 2008!
BillR

Where Am I? said...

Visa god? Normally, I'd say that's pretty strange, but I've been in India for a while now. At this point, nothing can seem strange. I don't think Tamding will will be going to that temple. He's not really big on Hinduism.

Vox said...

Ah yes, New Years Eve, AKA Amateur Night. Glad you were safe.

Pete