Monday, January 7, 2008

Mysore

We made it to Mysore, and I got a much needed shower. Well, not exactly a shower, but there was hot water. Tamding's place in Mundgod only has cold water, and I'm a wimp when it comes to cold showers. My bucket shower with hot water was nice after a ten hour train ride. But we did get second class on the train, so I could sleep. Except the bunks are shorter than I am, so it's not exactly a good sleep on Indian trains. I'm still a bit confused by all the people who wish they were tall. It sucks when you're in Asia. Although you can see over the crowd.

We went to Mysore Palace, which was impressive. What was weird is that it was built in its current form in 1912. I guess it was only weird because I don't know my Indian history. Mysore had remained an independent kingdom during the British rule, which is why the king could rebuild his palace without British interference. Tonight, we will go to the botanical gardens, which will be the last tourist stop in India for me on this trip.

No comments: