Sunday, November 25, 2007

One Night in Bangkok

Even if you only have one night in Bangkok, it can be very interesting. But not this time. I arrived at the new Bangkok Airport around noon local time and managed to get a hotel by 1pm. I then made a trip the 7-11 to buy the razor that I forgot to bring. Not the same one, of course, as Asia is always one Gillete model behind the US. So I got a Mach 3 instead. Then I stopped off at the Hillary Bar (Sukhumvit Soi 4) to have a few beers and watch some Muoy Thai on television. I had planned to do my internet stuff after an hour. But after two beers and a Mekong whiskey, the jet lag hit me really hard (+14 hr time differnce). So I decided to take a 5 hour nap and wake up around dinnertime. But when I woke up, it was 1:30 in the morning and almost everything was closed. I had to buy food at the 7-11,which was unfortunate because there's a Lebanese restaraunt near my hotel that I wanted to try.
So, it wasn't much of a night. Today, I have until dinnertime before I have to be at the airport. So, the plan is to do some shopping first. I need to buy some black & white film, which is getting harder to find these days. But I know a good photo store near Pat Pong, which is on the Sky Train route. I may look at digital cameras there, too (I'm looking for a Nikon digital back that takes my lenses). But something tells me that I'll get a better deal at MBK at Siam Center. MBK is a massive shopping mall that probably has 40 camera stores in it (but no film). I'm also looking for a stuff sack for my dirty laundry. I seem to have lost the one I had. MBK also has about 40 luggage stores as well. And they have a good sushi restaraunt. So that's the plan. For now, it's off to breakfast. They are about to start serving at my hotel (it's 6:30 AM).

No comments: